One of our favorite friends, Monica Willis from Corduroy Kid, recently sent us her new favorite lunchbox recipe. Although you will find her shops in Brooklyn (and online), Monica is Australian and so grew up making the more traditional sausage roll for parties and picnics. This great vegetarian version is more healthy, delicious hot or cold, and really fun to prepare with some little helpers.
What you will need
1/2 cup walnuts
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 cup rolled oats
3 sheets puff pastry
egg and sesame seeds for glazing
1. Process eggs, walnuts, onion, soy sauce, salt and cottage cheese in a blender.
2. Transfer into a bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs and oats.
3. Now cut a pastry sheet in half and spoon mixture down one edge.
4. Now roll to enclose the filling within the pastry and then repeat with the remaining pastry sheets
5. Cut each log into tasty morsels
6. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds
7. Bake for 15-20 mins at 180C or 350F
Yummmo....a fabulous addition to everyones lunchbox. These are delicious with ketchup for kids or sweet chilli sauce for adults. Spinach and Ricotta is also a brilliant substitute.
contributed by Monica Willis of Corduroy Kid