Amy: My husband grew up in the North of England. He likes to share British traditions with our family. Conkers is a fabulous British game that children all over the island play with glee in the autumn.
Conkers are horse chestnuts or buckeyes here in the states. Conkers is a playground game of skill that is simple to play and fiercely competitive!
The only items needed are conkers, string, and some determination.
- Choose some perfect conkers. This makes for a lovely walk through the woods together! Find firm, symmetrical, and un-cracked conkers.
- Drill or push small hole through the conker from top to bottom. (Metal skewers work as well as a drill!)
- Insert thin shoestring or twine through the conker and knot the end. (About 24 inches is perfect length)
- Player one dangles the string with attached conker while the other person swings their conker, trying to make contact and break the conker! Each player can have three turns to try and defeat and crack the conker!
- The victor is the one to destroy the others conker first!
There is a National Conkers Championship each October in England.
It is some serious sport there! We just hope you have fun in the woods and playing a natural game.
Xo The Sharp Family