I used to make this cake with my mother and now it is one I make all the time with my own children. It is a fool-proof 'single bowl' recipe. My 4.5 year old can manage to prepare almost the whole cake by herself, which she loves to do.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup self raising flour (or substitute 1 cup of plain flour and 1 tsp of baking powder)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond essence
- Melt the butter.
- Put all the other ingredients into a large bowl and pour melted butter on top
- Beat on high for 3 minutes
- Pour all the mixture into a greased cake tin and bake in a moderate oven.
- Cook until a toothpick comes out clean (this will depend on your oven and the size of the tin). be careful not to over cook as it is best a little moist.
Mix cocoa and confectioners sugar with some softened butter. Add hot water very slowly and mix to the desired consistency. Let the cake cool a little before putting on the icing.